Head of Department – Ms Meg Davies
Assistant HOD – Mrs Belinda Gibson
Department website: http://
“In English, we explore, develop and express ideas; growing in confidence, feeling safe and being brave in the process.” – St Mary’s College English Department
The English Department of St Mary’s College provides a varied and challenging programme for students, focussing on a love of literature and creative expression. In the junior school, English focusses on two main areas: Making Meaning (Listening, Reading and Viewing) and Creating Meaning (Speaking, Writing and Presenting).
Throughout the year, supported by our passionate team of English teachers, students read and study a variety of novels, poetry and non-fiction as well as watch and study live drama and films. Students have the opportunity to develop their creative skills through the production of static images, performing speeches and dramatic monologues and both creative and formal writing activities. Shakespearean drama and debating are introduced in the junior school, together with an opportunity for students to complete NCEA Level One AS90854 1.1: ‘Texts for Pleasure’. In this standard students read a selection of text and write personal responses to gain NCEA Level One credits.
All Year 11 and Year 12 students at St Mary’s College study the NCEA curriculum which gives the opportunity to explore a range of visual and written texts for external examination and internal assessments.
There are many opportunities for our girls to extend their love of language in extracurricular activities such as:
- National Schools Poetry Award
- Sheilah Winn Shakespeare Competition
- Commonwealth Essay Competition
- NZ Lions Young Speechmaker Competition
- ANZ RSA Speech Competition
- Race Unity Speech Award
- United Nations Speech Competition
- The Dunsheath Shield Speech Competition
- Young Playwrights Competition
- Katherine Mansfield Writing Competition
- Debating Competitions
- Young and Hungry Theatre Ambassador Programme
- The O’ Shea Shield Competition for Catholic Schools etc