St Mary's College

NCEA Information

The National Certificate of Educational Achievement (NCEA) is the main national qualification for secondary school students in New Zealand.
Information about NCEA can be found at the links below.

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    What do I do if I miss an assessment?

    Internal assessment is carried out under strict conditions in the same way as externals are. This is so that the assessment is fair for everyone.

    Only in exceptional circumstances will late work be accepted for assessment.  You are entitled to special consideration in these two circumstances:

    • Ill health or accident (medical certificate or other medical evidence required
    • Family emergency e.g: bereavement, major medical or other emergency

    If you miss an assessment due to illness, family trauma or a school sporting/cultural activity you will need to apply for an extension.

    Click the link below to download the missed assessment form.

    What do I do if I need an extension?

    Requests for a change of due date for an assessment  work may be granted at the discretion of the NCEA co-ordinator, in consultation with class teachers and Head of Department.  The form must be filled in 7 days in advance.  The circumstances below are some cases when applications may be declined:

    • Family holiday or overseas trip in term time.
    • Computer or printer problems for late work, however network or hardware failure in the school computer labs during a computer based in class assessment is not the fault of the student/s and equivalent time will be made available.
    • Assessments missed due to truanting

    Click the link below for an Extension Form.

    What do I do if I want to appeal my grade?

    If you wish to appeal a grade that you have received, fill out the form below and hand in to your Teacher/HOF within 48 hours of receiving your assessment back.